The Life and Times of Sharon Wiggins

I have been married for 22 years to an amazing man. I am the mother of two remarkable kids and we're smack dab in the middle of the teenage years. Every day is an adventure. I am a busy lady who is trying to do it all, and managing pretty well most days. I just hold on and enjoy the ride.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Celebrating Mother's Day

I watch the commercials on TV about all the wonderful gifts that you should give your mom for Mother's Day and it makes me uneasy for lots of reasons. 

I remember giving my mom some homemade trinket we made in school as a gift for Mother's Day.  My dad usually got her some type of useful appliance.  She got her geranium at church later that day.  That was it.  When I got older, and we weren't able to have children, I hated Mother's Day.  I didn't want the stupid flower at church that they insisted on giving to everyone and I eventually stopped going to church on Mother's Day.  It was just too painful.

Finally, I was blessed to become a mother.  Now I could go to church and accept my flower because I was a mother.  Only, it didn't really feel any different.  My gift was my baby.  I didn't really want anything else.  I loved being a mother and finally having that blessing in my life.

As my kids got older, that's when the guilt set in.  I would sit in church and listen to talks about the perfect mother, and I was so far away from that.  I would sink in my seat as I listened to a talk from someone who bragged about a mother that never yelled at them or never raised her voice in anger.  She loved to do crafts and kept a perfect house.  If that is a perfect mother, that certainly wasn't me.  Then I would dutifully stand and accept my flower and go home depressed about my short comings.

Being a mother is HARD work.  I make mistakes all the time.  So many things I wish I could do over again.  So many things I wish I could take back.  But it's also a very rewarding and fulfilling thing to me.  If I'm going to take responsibility for their failures, I should accept congratulations for their successes as well.  In spite of it all, my kids are turning out OK so far. 

I don't need an expensive pieces of jewelry, a massage, or a spa treatment to thank me.  I get my thanks from a hug, a word of appreciation, or a sweet conversation (and from doing something without being asked.)  I feel uncomfortable getting gifts for doing something I love to do.  So this Mother's Day, I'm hoping for kids that won't fight, and an enjoyable day with my family.  What better gift could I possibly get?

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the guilt,I really dread going to church on Mothers Day, for that same reason. When I get there I'm happy for my family and the fact that I haven't killed my kids yet, then by the time I get home I'm totally depressed.
    I'm happy you are doinga blog, I like it, and will be a faithfull follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon-
    Lesa Crook sent me a link to your blog. This is Danielle John and I'm excited to keep up with you again. You were always a wonderful example to me as a young mother that I am grateful for. I really enjoyed this post and it touched my heart that you shared your honest feelings. I was glad to hear that you dreaded mother's day just like I used to before we were blessed with our children.

    PS Your kids are so grown up and beautiful. I'm happy for you guys. I see you've found our blog too, I try to update it fairly regularly.

    ReplyDelete